Sunday, September 28, 2008

Raya Highway Duty!!!

27th September 2008.. me and Ivan attended the Raya Highway Duty which starts from 8pm till 8am the next day that is 28th September 2008. The venue was Jelapang Tol area which is just before the Jelapang Tunnel. My senior told us that he had duty a few times here but there was no case. When we arrive at HQ, i ask the the officers-in-charge what we should do. He brief us a little and even teach us how to use the ambulance trolley strecther too.This was my first time using the strecther so it was quite fun as i could learn something new. Somehow i had an instinct that we will have to do a case which means there will be an accident. By 11pm, the two officers were asleep, one was Mr Ramli, the ambulance driver and another Malay officer while me and Ivan were playing each others handphones. Suddenly, at about 12am, we receive news from a man that an accident had occured near the Jelapang Plaza Tol Ipoh Utara. We immediately rush to the scene with the ambulance. There were an accident between two motorcycles. We wore our gloves and jackets in the ambulance and ready to help the victims. Upon reaching the scene and rushing out of the ambulance, me and Ivan rush to one of the casualty which is concious but the other two officers rush to the other casualty which is unconcious and is more serious. The casualty that we attended had bleeding on his mandible (jaw) and palm and also had a dislocated shoulder. I immediately stopped the bleeding and applied an elevation sling. Then we waited for the ambulance to arrive to send him to the hospital. Due to the more serious injury of the other casualty which had a fracture on his left hand and bleeding on his palms, the two officers had to transfer the other casulty to hospital first, leaving me and Ivan alone with the casualty we attended earlier. After about 15 minutes, the Civil Defence ambulance arrived. Soon this casualty was sent to hospital too. It was indeed an unforgetful experience. After that, we went back to our so called ' Meeting Room ' and rest. There were no more cases after that. At about 8am in the morning, we change shift with other members and arrive at HQ at about 8.30am. I was very happy because it was my first time duty at highway and we got a case to handle. Although i was very nervous that time, i managed to control myself to save the casualty. I really hope that i will have another chance to handle such cases. For now, i know that i'm not afraid of real blood and real accidents.

Jelapang Tol Plaza Ipoh Utara at Night near the scene.

Me in front of the ambulance during the highway duty. Behind me was the 'Meeting Room'

Me after doing the case. Me and Ivan walked quite a distant before taking this picture. Behind me was the scene of the accident.

The Jelapang Tunnel in the morning.

A picture before we go home.

No comments: